Identity Poem


As a child
Like a house-cat
Wide-eyed, I watched the world from my window
With the pretense to pounce
But blocked by a translucent barrier,
Too conscious of what I was not

See, I overthink, I think
Trying to sleep, I need to roll up a ball of thoughts from one end
While my unclipped claws enclasp and entangle the other 

The pounce came at 24
It was a matter of necessity 
A hunger for unlived moments
Full of faces, fish, music, traffic,
A language that began to make sense,
And a thick fog that hung between buildings
Making people cover their houses
With bright pink and yellow paint
Lima, me encanta

Querer es poder 
Y solo se vive una vez (#yolo)
My faint tabby patterns darkened to tiger stripes
As my insecurities chipped off like cheap nail polish along the Malecón 
Soy la mitad Peruana,” I would tell people
Wishing it were true
And when I said something true:
Soy Judía,” their faces looked as if I had taken a wand out
And made a loaf of lehem min ha'aretz appear on top of my head.

For me, there’s no better feeling 
Than exploring an unknown place
Or dancing in the wind
But also, coming home
To make sure no one and nothing else has changed


Comments

Popular Posts